Wednesday, March 2, 2011

New Flavor Chinese Restaurant Review

Sweet and sour chicken from New Flavor
Katie went up to her mom's to do some crafting over the weekend leaving me home with my 1 year old wingman Atticus.  As  5 pm came around I realized I didn't have a clue what to do for dinner so I decided to take a leap of faith and try a Chinese place that has been diligently sending menus over the past year advertising "Grand Opening."  I noticed that Urbanspoon didn't have a review for them yet, so I thought I would take a shot at it.

New Flavor Chinese.  If you had to pick a name that screams low-budget take out, wouldn't that be it?  But, this review isn't about the name - it is about the New Flavor experience.  I started by looking for their menu, because I had always thrown out the ones from the mail.  A Google search yielded nothing.  There is no online menu for New Flavor.  I ended up having them walk me through their specials over the phone.

Atticus and I ordered the sweet and sour chicken to share.  We were told our food would take 45 minutes to arrive, but were pleasantly surprised that it was much faster than that.  Our meal came with white rice, fried rice, an egg roll, and a fortune cookie for a total cost of $11.

Presentation of delivered meal.  The fried rice is stacked on top of some white rice.
I was pleased that the entree came in a plastic tray rather than crammed into a paper container.  Overall, the quality of the food was a step up from regular budget take-out or delivery.  Our chicken came with large pieces of cooked pineapple, carrots, and peppers.  The sauce tasted better than sweet and sour from the grocery store deli... not homemade of course, but still a step up.  Some of the chicken was tough, which is typical of frozen then fried then sat around, but it didn't bother me.  The rice and egg roll were average.
New Flavor Chinese: 801-467-1198.


Menu Images
New Flavor on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. Matt, next time I'm down for lunch let's give New Flavor another try. But 11.00? We can share. DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!
    Restaurant Equipment

    ReplyDelete
  3. go to the Dragon Diner. Cheaper and much much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well i eat there 3 times i guess and it was very nice, cute waitress haha, the prices area a little high but they worth it because the food was excellent, thanks

    ReplyDelete